Lazarus Boikie Nokane or as he is affectionately known by all the Jamala-ian’s……Lazzie.
Lazzie has worked as a professional Ranger/Guide at Jamala Madikwe since 2010. Humble, gentle and compassionate few guides could fit the Jamala spirit better than this legend. He was born in Madikwe Game Reserve on an old farm called Leeuhoek “Lioncorner” near Ambush Alley and holds an incredible amount of knowledge about the land and it’s inhabitants. When Laz is in tune with the bush his intuition and ability to quietly track game will take you’re breath away. (Image by guests Lara Cowtan and Stuart Vincent)
We sat down with Laz and asked him a couple of questions
1. How long have you been a professional guide ?
I started as a tracker for other guides in Madikwe Game Reserve. I realized I had to better myself and qualified as a professional guide 8 years ago.
2. How has Madikwe changed over the years since your childhood ?
It has changed a lot, for the better, there are now numerous opportunities for work for the local communities. The land is still as beautiful as it has always been.
3. What would be you’re all time favorite animal to track and view in Madikwe Game Reserve, and why ?
Elephants, elephants and elephants they are intelligent gentle creatures I just love them.
4. What is your favorite place to visit around Madikwe ?
Ambush Alley the views here are incredible it reminds me of home.
5. What animal sighting would you still like to have ?
All of them I never tire of seeing the animals everyday is a new adventure.
6. Describe why you love Africa and the bushveld ?
Because I was born here, this is my land its in my blood.